Monday, May 9, 2011

Long time, no post...

.... because life is so freakin' busy!  .  I feel guilty about not posting all of April.  I'll get a ton of text down, then add pictures in later.  A few days before posting after a long drought (avoidance), the inner nag starts tapping my inner shoulder, then prodding my inner chest, then I get down to it.

But a few recent points of interest:

This has been the wettest spring/what spring?/cold, damp, miserable.... seems like the past few years we're a three season climate zone - prolonged, pissy winter/hot, all-too-short summer/really nice autumn.  The lake has been wild for weeks on end, with rain nonstop.  We've had another tree down, on the roadside lawn, just missing the house.  The driveway - if there was an intergalactic market for mud, we could supply the multiverse - is a gloopy catch 22 - if we had a driveway, we wouldn't have any mud/we can't get a driveway until the mud is gone. 

The zoning amendment went through!  Huzzah! and Hooray! and thanks to the zoning gods.  I went to the Council meeting on April 10th with the fabulous GGs for support (and 2 pitchers of sangria for extra fortification).  We were next to last on the bill and were passed immediately.  Now we can get our business licence - which I think I'll do tomorrow.  This was our biggest - not obstacle - but biggest piss-off, I guess, in the B&B journey.  Having B&B homes near us that didn't have to pay off the local government with an expensive zoning amendment was - expensively irrating.  But - it's done.

.... assembled our first tax return data that included B&B financials.  We've kept the majority of receipts, invoices, etc., especially the big tickets - boiler, insulation, zoning applications, and such.  What we've spent on this thing is eye-wideningly, head-shakingly there in black & white.  As there was no actual B&Bing going on in 2010, this is ground work for next year, our accountant Al tells us.  This summer we'll be officially open in a limited capacity, so next year's tax return will hopefully be a bigger, better bang for those bucks.

.... this weekend, travelling to Peterborough to study B&B academy - at Carriage Lane B&B.  The curriculum includes professional hosting, culinary, housekeeping, promoting, finances... the compleat angle.  I'm going solo, Kee's working and actually, doesn't think a high percentage of the schedule relates to what he'll be doing - there's no tiling, wiring, plumbing or cement work on the timetable.  I'm really looking forward to this - having successful experts show me how they perfected a wheel I just can barely recognize as wheel-shaped.

This has, as I've said, been a completely crap spring.  But now the lake is actually turning blue - instead of muddy grey-brown.  The sun is out a bit more - I hung laundry on the line on Sunday.  It reminds me what we fell in love with and why we bought this place - in the first place.

All those hundreds of bulbs I planted in the fall - I'm getting results:  hyacinth (hyacinthi?) of all colours and sizes, blue bells, white phlox and tulips in cream, burgundy  and blues and lots of white, sky and dark blue muscari.  What I thought - and looked in the pictures - were white paperwhites and something else - are actually yellow.  I don't like any yellow flowers.  Ninety-five percent of the stuff I planted was white or blue, with purples making up the remainder.  Lots more are upcoming.  I'll have to check my maps to see what was planted where... finding out what it is I'm looking at or what isn't where it should be coming up at.

D gave me a five foot tulip tree for Mother's Day, it's absolutely beautiful and very, very sturdy.  He planted it in the roadside yard and it looks great.  On Sunday I enlarged the roadside corner garden, planting two white lilacs, four rhododendrons, and some other white and purple flowers.  I added some hollyhock and morning glory seeds up close to the fences.  That garden will be all white and purple.

I'm going to kill a rabbit.  A mangy grey rabbit has been eating my flower shoots - the crocus have been comletely nibbled to a half inch of the ground.  This thing is so stunned I got within two feet of it.  I've tried human hair, cat litter and mothballs.  I think next I'll try a bb gun... or someone with a rabbit-killing firearm of some sort.  I've never killed, even hurt an animal, but this is beyond personal - it's financial.

Went to another auction with my sister on Saturday.  Bought a useless fan [crap], a four piece setting of handpainted dishes [pale green with white dot flowers - dinner and salad plates, fruit and soup bowls and a platter], three really nice fadey, white framed watercolours of birds and two really lovely, deep-hued watercolours of water birds, an art deco wooden magazine rack and a trim little art deco table, both of which I'll clean up, restain and use in the blue bedroom.  I'm getting very picky and less frenetic with my bid card.... things are getting filled up.

Bought a fan for the sunroom - bit of an e-purchase drama there.... I searched through the net, found this lovely wall mount "Old Havana" fan:  heavy black ornate base with a black and bronzish fan unit.  Very period, very 30s looking.  One site had it priced several hundred cheaper than others.... and after checking very carefully, I bought that one.  And by very carefully, I mean - as much as I compared that one site against the more expensive sites, I could find no difference in the fan, while at the same time being extremely not-careful at all. What was delivered, what I bought - was the base - only the base.  The fan unit holder.  Not the fan.  No fan.

Me and Mr Liu had an extremely close e-relationship for the next few days, ending with me spending three hundred plus more to acquire the remainder of the picture of the lovely Old Havana fan that I thought I had already bought. Whatthe?  Well, it's up, it's gorgeous and I'm learning to move on from these type of things..... as these type of things do pop up.

I am a mad breadmaker right now.  I recently bought a bread magazine and one of the recipes was the dutch oven no-knead method.  So far I've made about 10 loaves - it's amazing!  The bread looks like every beautiful artisanal loaf you ever did see.  Tonight, before I did the final 1 hour proof, I smeared four cloves of roasted garlic over the top, some Mediterranean herbs and some pepper, then folded the top and bottom, left and right sides over.  Let it rise for another hour, then baked.  It tastes fantastic. 

This dutch oven method broke big about five/six years ago and has fan sites galore.  All you need is flour, salt, yeast, warm water, a heavy cast iron dutch and time.  The results are beautiful, professional-looking and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment